Laser scar treatment has become very popular now. There are many people who are showing interest in the use of these methods to get rid of scars. We suffer a lot due to the presence of scars over our body. We keep trying all sorts of methods to get rid of these scars. But not all of them work properly. But laser scar treatment is very effective. So let us discuss about it.
Types of lasers:
There are mainly 3 types of lasers used for the laser scar treatment namely:
Pulse dye laser:
This laser emits its radiation over the skin cells which are surrounding the scar tissue. It does not act directly on the scar tissue. It promotes the growth of collagen and new cells from the surrounding healthy tissues which will replace the scar tissue.
Carbon dioxide laser:
This laser will damage the scar tissue directly. So the scar tissue will be lost. Then the skin cells in the deeper layers will divide and produce new skin cells to replace the scar tissue.
This is another laser which also destroys the scar tissue directly like the carbon dioxide laser.
Types of scars treated using laser scar treatment?
Laser therapy can be used to treat all sorts of scars. The most commonly treated scars by using laser therapy are:
C section scars:
These are the scars that develop after c section. They are present over the lower abdomen.
These scars are produced due to increased production of collagen from the injury site. They are red, swollen and itchy.
These scars grow and extend beyond the site of injury. So they need to be destroyed using a laser.
Atrophy is the decrease in size of a cell or an organ. So atrophic scars have pits over the scar area. We need to use laser to promote the growth of the surrounding cells and increase the production of collagen to fill up these pits.
These scars are produced due to the acne or pimples breaking up and their contents entering into the dermis.
Laser treatment benefits:
- This therapy is an outpatient procedure. It takes very less time to complete, about an hour or so. So you can go back to home after you complete the therapy.
- This therapy is very effective and helps to heal the scars very well.
- You can treat scars over particular areas of your body by targeting them well over the correct areas.
- You can have fast results compared to the other scar treatment options.
Laser treatment side effects:
- You can develop blister formation at the site of the scar after laser therapy.
- You can develop hyperpigmentation over the scar due to the damage of the skin.
- You might become prone to infections at the site of injury.
- You can have very severe pain over the scar site where laser therapy is done.
- This laser scar treatment is comparatively expensive than other types of scar treatments available in the market.
Tips for you:
- Apply antibiotic solution to the site of scar after the laser therapy to prevent infections.
- Take pain killers to get relief form the pain.
- Research thoroughly about the best laser scar treatment clinics in your area before getting the treatment done.
- Discuss about all the possible complications of the procedure with your doctor and be well prepared for them.
So by now you must have got a good idea about laser scar treatment, right.